- The GSC survey on the Open Graduate Program is available here. The Provost has asked for feedback about the benefits and future of the program. Collected data will allow for productive conversations about the best ways to support interdisciplinary and collaborative graduate student work at Brown. If you have any questions, please contact Ali.
- The Brown University Community Council plans to discuss racial inequalities and how Brown might be propagating or reducing them. Please email Sveta Milusheva with your thoughts on this issue so she may relate more graduate student perspectives.
- The Information Technology Advisory Board makes recommendations for the implementation and use of technology throughout Brown’s campus. Please complete this short survey to share with your thoughts on graduate student research computing needs. If you have questions, email Brandon Welch.
- The new GSC newsletter will highlight graduate student resources, announcements, interviews, and guest editorials. If you are interested in writing a short article or would like to advertise a resource, group, or program, please contact Anni. Submissions will be accepted until Wednesday, October 14th.
- The Graduate School has launched a new campaign, “Master Words,” to highlight Master’s student visibility in the Brown community. The second theme is “creativity.” If you are a Master’s student, submit a one-minute video explaining what “creativity” means to you. Videos are due October 27th. See here for more information.
- APPLY: There are currently seven graduate student vacancies on external committees. All applications are due Wednesday, October 14th. Contact Torrey with any questions.
- VACANCY: The Committee on Refugee Response is exploring opportunities to respond to the recent influx of refugees from torn areas, like Syria, in ways that are central to Brown’s mission. The GSC is seeking 1 graduate student to serve on this committee.
- VACANCY: The Campus Life Advisory Board Subcommittee on Alcohol and Other Drugs is concerned with the use and misuse of alcohol and drugs on campus, as well the relationship between substance abuse and academic lives. The GSC is seeking 1 graduate student to serve on this committee.
- VACANCIES: The Graduate Student Study Space Committee will advise the University Librarian on decisions regarding the design, layout, and usage of the Graduate Student Study Area that will be created on the second floor of the Rockefeller Library. The GSC is seeking 5 graduate students to serve on this committee.
- Approval of the Fall 2015 Budget
- GSC Executive Officers Reports
- The GSC is working closely with the Graduate School in the search for a new Dean of Master’s Students, a position that is now vacant. If you have questions or concerns about the search for a new dean, please contact Wes.
- The GSC Executive Board elections are in November. If you are thinking of serving, please contact the current executive board member for the interested position to learn more about the responsibilities and expectations.
- The annual GSC Halloween Social will be Friday, October 23rd at 9PM at Hanley’s Ale House. Prizes will be awarded to the three best costumes of the night! More details forthcoming. If you have questions, contact Lauren and Maria.
- The 2015 Graduate Career Options Conference (“GradCon”) will be held on Saturday, November 14. Register here!
NEXT GSC MEETING: Wednesday, November 4th @ 7PM, Graduate Student Lounge